Facebook – Founded in 2004, Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Over 2 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, or Messenger every month to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what’s going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them.
Facebook is defined by our unique culture – one that rewards impact. We encourage people to be bold and solve the problems they care most about. We work in small teams and move fast to develop new products, constantly iterating. The phrase “this journey is 1% finished” reminds us that we’ve only begun to fulfill our mission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Strategic Partner Manager, News – SSA Region
- Facebook is seeking an experienced Strategic Partner Manager to build and enhance successful relationships with news partners in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- This person will collaborate with a diverse range of news organizations and journalists across the region to implement strategic partnership plans and programs around Facebook products, tools and services.
- The News Partnerships team at Facebook works towards providing impactful solutions to news organizations for reaching new audiences and revenue growth.
- The team also works to strengthen the links between journalists and the communities they serve, and helps address the main challenges facing the media and journalism sector through skills training initiatives and various programs.
- This job requires high levels of creativity and problem-solving abilities, as you will be helping your partners develop innovative social experiences and business solutions on Facebook and Instagram.
- You will represent Facebook at industry events and media interviews, develop external relationships at executive levels and serve as the primary point of contact for both internal and external stakeholders.
- We are looking for someone who can think strategically, articulate their vision yet also roll up their sleeves to get the job done.
- You will have a sophisticated knowledge of the news industry on the continent, its content strategies and business models, and the ability to plan, budget and execute programs that add value to the goals of both Facebook and our media partners.
- In addition, you will apply your knowledge of Africa’s media and political landscape to work with cross-functional colleagues on addressing challenges faced by Facebook in the news industry.
- This position is based in our Johannesburg or Lagos offices and will involve travel.
- Build and cultivate relationships with a growing and diverse set of news organizations, such as newspapers, broadcasters, digital-first publishers, journalists and news industry bodies
- Develop expertise on your partners goals & priorities, gather industry insights, and keep your finger on the pulse of the news industry in your region and how Facebook can support it
- Contribute to partner success by providing guidance on optimal use of Facebook & Instagram tools and services, compliance with Community Standards and other rules, as well as content strategy
- Build your Managed Partner Set with sound strategies in line with key goals & objectives
- Prepare bi-annual program budgets
- Work with data analysts and Partner Solutions colleagues to forecast partner revenue
- track, analyze and communicate key quantitative metrics and business trends
- Act as a news industry expert internally and externally and be a strong advocate for partners. Identify and help highlight unique news media success stories from the region to celebrate best practices and seed new trends in the industry
- Build strong relationships with internal partners across Public Policy, Market Operations, Communications, Entertainment Partnerships, Sales and other teams to help coordinate a common approach to the news industry, identify challenges and mitigate content integrity issues
- Identify scaled training opportunities for journalists and news organisations
- Work closely with Support teams to proactively resolve operational, business, and technical issues
- Ability to communicate effectively and advocate for the region with excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience
- Extensive experience in the news industry or organisations supporting the news industry
- Extensive experience and knowledge of the pan-African media landscape, especially in South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya
- Keen interest and understanding of news business models and the journalism industry
- Fluency in French and familiarity with Francophone Africa’s media landscape an advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Closing Date